The queen of Polish rivers is connected with MDW E70 for 159 km. On the trail – from the estuary of the Brda River – we pass several historic cities that used to be defensive in the past: Chełmno, Grudziądz, Świecie, Kwidzyn and Gniew.
About 35 km before the estuary of the Brda River, there is Toruń (730-738 km on the Wisła) – the city of “gingerbreads” and one of the oldest cities in Poland. In 1997, Toruń was entered on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list. The list includes the thirteenth-century complex of the old and new town and the ruins of the Teutonic castle.
At a similar distance – but below the Brda River estuary, we reach Chełmno, picturesquely situated on the Vistula River (804 km), known as the “city of lovers” due to the relics of St. Valentine located in a Gothic church.
A few kilometres further, there is Świecie (811-814 km) with one of the few medieval water fortresses in Europe. In Grudziądz (831-837 km), the granaries stretch along the banks of the Vistula River. The oldest ones were built in the 13th century. The granaries used to also have a defensive function.
At km 863 of the Vistula – a few kilometres from the river, we pass Kwidzyn. In Kwidzyn, there is a castle of the Pomesanian chapter with an impressive gdanisko (a sanitary tower), and many other monuments.
Gniew (876 km) is another city at the Vistula River with a Teutonic castle, where you can rent a room and participate in numerous “explosive” events: meetings with the Hussars at lavishly laid tables and with knightly tournaments, Sarmatian feasts, battle reconstructions and other attractions. In Gniew, there is also the Marysieńka’s Castle, built by King Jan III Sobieski – nowadays it houses a hotel.
In Tczew (904-910 km), there is the first Vistula Museum in Poland, which is worth visiting for every sailing enthusiast. The first Maritime School in Poland also operated here.
From the Vistula, we can continue the MDW E70 journey on one of the two Vistula estuary arms – the Nogat or the Szkarpawa, ending at the Vistula Lagoon. We can also sail along the Vistula Ditch – built in the years 1891-1895 – straight to the Baltic Sea, or the Martwa Wisła river to Gdańsk.
The delta section of the Vistula runs along the lowland and plain areas of the Żuławy Wiślane. It is the only area in Poland partially below sea level, maintained by a complex system of canals, pumping stations, flood gates and locks. The saturation with hydro-technical structures in the area of Żuławy is the highest in Poland. The area of the Vistula delta is also an attractive area of water tourism, developed under the so-called Żuławy Loop.